Saturday, February 27, 2016

Have you checked your (job) posture lately?

Most of us are running at 1000 miles an hour, trying to accomplish everything we need to. With all that goes on, despite our best intentions, it is normal to get caught up in the tactical and routine stuff,  and lose sight of the big picture. Every minute we are spending on something, it is a minute we are not spending on something else.

Just as we check our sitting posture from time to time and make adjustments to make sure we are not slouching in our seats, it is important to check our job posture regularly and make the necessary adjustments to ensure we are spending our time on things that matter.

A quick way to assess our job posture is to ask ourselves and answer these 5 questions honestly:

  1. Am I doing things needed for my current role, or still doing things that I was doing in my previous role? Am I doing enough to prepare myself for my next job/role?
  2. Am I prioritizing well and staying focused on the big picture?
  3. Am I delegating as appropriate?
  4. Am I trying new things out and learning from these experiences?
  5. Am I working smart, or merely working hard?

Sun Tzu said "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."

In many cases, we are our own worst enemy. Getting to know ourselves through this simple self-assessment on a regular basis can turn our thousand personal battles into a thousand victories!


No comments:

Post a Comment